BONTOC – At least 700 bags of assorted good were distributed to 79 families affected by landslide in the remote barangay of Caneo here last May 13.
The family packs came in blue and white bags with assorted good that included two- kilos of rice, sardines, noodles and coffee.
The family packs provided by the Department of Social Welfare and Development – Cordillera Administrative Region (DSWD – CAR) was ferried to Bontoc by the staff of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and Motorpool as per the directive of Governor Leonard Mayaen.
In lieu of the governor, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer Anacleto Tangilag thanked the DSWD for their continuous assistance in the province.
Tangilag further assured the continuous support of the provincial government to the landslide- affected families. “We are continuously coordinating with the DSWD and other government agencies for assistance until all of you will be relocated”, Tangilag said.
Atty. Saichi Ofo-ob who represented Bontoc Mayor Franklin Odsey during the distribution of family packs also assured the support and assistance that the Bontoc- LGU may provide to the beneficiaries.
Atty. Ofo-ob further thanked the provincial government and the DSWD as their partner in providing assistance and support to the families affected by landslide.
Meanwhile, SLP- Provincial Coordinator Jessie Chelim of the Social Welfare and Development Team (SWAD- Mountain Province) explained that the family packs that were distributed to the beneficiaries serve as the food for work of the recipients once they start implementing the Core Shelter Assistance Project (CSAP). The identified CSAP beneficiaries in barangay Caneo are the residents of Sitio Fabfey and Sitio Chawwang whose houses are located in disaster prone area as earlier identified by the Mines and Geo-Sciences Bureau (MGB- CAR).
Chilem also solicited the cooperation of the beneficiaries and encouraged them to help each other in the implementation of the project.
Earlier, the family beneficiaries were granted P70, 000 checks from the DSWD for the construction of their respective core shelter units. The basic unit, which can be improved by the family, is constructed with two rooms, a comfort room, and a kitchen.
Relative to this, President Junifer Afaten, thanked the DSWD, SWAD- Mountain Province, provincial government of Mountain Province and Bontoc –LGU for their concern and assistance to the families whose houses were built on hazardous areas as declared by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).
“We are grateful for all your help in saving our life and property. We thank you for immediately attending to the need of the families affected by landslide and ensuring our safety”, he Afaten stressed.
Meanwhile, an elder in the community who is among those to be relocated expressed his thanks and appreciation to the assistance extended to them. “The ten bags of relief goods received by every family is a very helpful to us especially that we are starting to purchase and haul materials for our core shelter units”, he said.
It will be recalled that an ocular inspection in the area was conducted by the PDRRMO, Bontoc Municipal Police Station, Bureau of Fire Protection and MGB- CAR headed by Regional Director Fay Apil in October last year.
MGB- CAR recommended that the residents of Sitio Fabfey and Sitio Chawwang be relocated due to possible progression of landslide in the said area especially rainy season.